Monday, August 15, 2016

Kindergarten Kate


Somehow my baby Kate is old enough and started kindergarten on Tuesday, August 9, 2016! I've been a mix of emotions all summer long! It's such an exciting milestone but it's also a huge step...one that I haven't been so sure I'm ready to make. 

We spent the summer checking activities off our summer bucket list and soaking up every minute together. I tried to savor our time together! Kindergarten is full-day here in Phoenix. I was so bummed to hear that there was no option for half-day. Most people tell me how great it will be to have her in full-day but I'm just going to miss her (Millie too). She starts at 8:45am and goes till 3:10pm. That is a big change from her preschool schedule 3 times a week for 2-1/2 hours. 

Kate was very excited ("and a little nervous") to start and we were thrilled to learn that she would be in the same class as two boys from her preschool class!  She is in Ms. Storcz (pronounced Stores) class!
We enjoyed going to "Meet the Teacher" night just the three of us! 
Finding her backpack hook
Her new classroom
A little treat from Mrs. Storcz
First Day of School Breakfast per Kate's request...french toast and blueberries!







Kate was really excited for her first day! The kindergarteners have their own playground. The first 2 days they let the parents in to help their kid know where to line up etc. etc. Kate enjoyed a little bit of play time before the bell rang and then happily got in line and followed her teacher into school. I couldn't help but cry a bunch as we parted ways. Why is this so hard?! We really missed her but for the first two days they got out at 1pm to help them ease in. I was so anxious to pick her up and hear all about her day! 

Kate said that everything was different. I assume she meant different from preschool and different than she was expecting. She said it was sort of fun. And she also told me that her bracelet didn't work. Kate had picked out a charm bracelet at the American Girl Doll Store and I told her whenever she missed me to look at it and think about me and how much I love her. It was super sweet to see her look down at it as she waiting in line to go into her classroom in the morning :) But apparently she said it didn't work when I picked her up...although she did insist wearing it every day since. Kate also right away was sad that they wanted her to only capitalize the first letter in her name and do the rest lowercase. Oh man!

This kindergarten starting school thing is tricky. The next few days were ultimately really good. I shred several tears but it wasn't until Thursday that Kate cried at drop off. Trying to maneuver the play ground is hard. Kate walked right through the gates and said good bye but after standing by the swings for a few minutes no one got off and Kate got sad. Fortunately after some tears and hugs she was really brave and followed Mrs. Storcz inside. It's so hard not to worry... Kate shared some exciting things throughout the week but also fears and said she didn't want to go back too. However Kate's teacher assures me she's was doing great! Tim also went and met Kate for lunch on Thursday and said it was reassuring to see how awesome the staff is and how great Kate really does do. 

It's just a big adjustment and all of us will continue to get more and more used to this new normal. We survived our first week!  A few highlights... Kate is so happy to get to sit next to Lincoln (a friend from preschool last year), she got the highest level "principled"on their classroom discipline behavior chart on day 3 (they start at "balanced," if they act inappropriately the get moved down but if they are really good they can move up to "principled," Kate was so proud and she really likes her computer/media Specials teacher Mr. Eckstrom.  I was really encouraged to hear Kate say she was sad she didn't get to go on Saturday! And then today after dreading how drop off would go today I am so pleased that Kate was so brave and after wanting to just wait by us until the bell rang she walked right in! I can't believe how much she's grown in 1 week! 

It's going to be a fabulous year with a lot of growth for all of us! 
On the kindergarten playground waiting for the bell to ring
How is she big enough for this?!

Our next door neighbor Olivia (unfortunately they are not in the same class)
Kate shower Olivia her Wellie Wisher charm bracelet that she wears to remember me while she's away at school.

Holding hands waiting for the teeter totter

Lots and lots of kids...Kate here waiting patiently in her class line
Love that little wave
First Day Complete
Day 2 complete...with buddy Hudson (Notice how Millie always wants in on the pictures?)
Some quality time playing together and acting silly
Thursday Tim went and met Kate for lunch

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, hang in there Hayley! It sounds like Kate is doing great and it will only get easier for everyone right? It makes me nervous for when it's time for us to make that big transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, sweet pictures of our girl! Kate is great and you know that, Hay. Looks and sounds like everything is going to be fine. Her teacher looks so nice and her classroom is inviting and fun. I remember how I felt when Steve started kindergarten. All these new feelings and things you all are going through will get easier and more routine. I am proud of Kate and you, Hay! This growing up thing can seem hard to do, but it is all part of the plan. Kate has grown up a lot these past few weeks. Glad she's happy and likes school! Good for Kate and good for you, Hay! Millie too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty amazing photos! I too have a toddler at home who is not much in to learning as he does not find it fun at all. One of my friends has recommended finding fun teaching ideas at kidsfront.com. Trust me this website is extremely helpful for my toddler. You can also use their free activity, printables, rhymes and coloring books for your kids. Take a look at their website http://www.kidsfront.com/math/your_name_number_count.html.

    ReplyDelete