Sunday, March 27, 2016

Introducing....


Henry Benson Bahr
March 12, 2016 4:41 am
7 pounds 14 ounces
19 inches



So happy he's healthy and thriving!!!



Here's a recap of Henry's birth story... better late than never, right?! There is perhaps more information than you care to read. Feel free to skip it and just scroll past the text to all the pictures :)

It was a pretty amazing coincidence that both Kate and Millie were both 9 days early. I figured the chances that he’d come exactly 9 days early were really low. But I just assumed and after talking to my OB figured that chances were pretty high that he would come early. Just like with my other two pregnancies, I didn’t have any contractions, or even Braxton-Hicks ones in the weeks leading up to his arrival.

Thursday, the 10th, in the morning I had an appointment with my OB. She was surprised I had delivered yet, I was too. I was dilated to a 4 and 70% effaced but he was still sitting really high. She stripped my membranes and off I went assuming we’d hopefully have a baby within 24 hours. Thursday afternoon I finally started having few contractions but nothing consistent. This labor and delivery was so different from my other two!

I started having contractions a bit more often and by 9pm they starting getting real regular. I told Tim I thought we better start thinking about going. Once my contractions got to be about 10 minutes apart Tim wanted to get moving since last time around with Millie things had moved so fast. We arrived at the hospital at 10:25pm. They checked me and to my surprise I was still at a 4. Triage called my OB, Dr. Schwartz,  given my history that she wanted me to walk for an hour. I think we all assumed things would pick up and progress but they didn’t even with contractions coming anywhere from 3-12 minutes. They decided they wanted me to walk another hour. I wish I would have said no. It was super uncomfortable and I was tired. My contractions were still coming but as time went on they seemed to space out a bit more, more like every 10-15 minutes. When they checked me I was still at a 4. I was so frustrated and exhausted.  I left wondering how on earth I was going to get any sleep.

I ended up contracting on and off ALL day Friday! But they were super inconsistent coming anywhere from 3-35 minutes apart though. That night they started coming more frequent (like 10 minutes apart) and stronger this time. I somehow fell asleep but at 12:45 am I woke up to the most painful contraction. So painful Tim woke up when he heard me crying out.  Which is saying something since Tim sleeps so deeply. We decided we should head to the hospital. But we were both so hesitant…we didn’t want to get sent home again. My contractions were still not totally consistent. They got to 3 minutes apart but then spaced back out to 7-10 minutes apart. We arrived at the hospital at 1:30am but we couldn’t bring ourselves to check in. We walked around and hung out in the waiting room and at one point decided that maybe we’d just go home. I even walked out into the parking lot but fell to the ground during a crazy painful contraction. It was then we decided it was time to check in.

We were glad we finally decided to go in. I was dilated to a 6-7 and got admitted at 3am.  After contracting all Friday I was pretty exhausted. I hadn’t totally decided if I was going to get an epidural. Originally I figured I’d see where I was at when I got to the hospital…but that was before I had started contracting on Thursday, hadn’t slept much, and contracted all day on Friday. I told them I’d like to get an epidural if there was time but that if not I would be okay. I had done it without one with Millie.

The anesthesiologist arrived shortly after I got into my L&D room. I’m afraid to say but of my entire experience, getting my epidural was the worst. Looking back I really wish I hadn’t gotten one.  It ended up taking her 3 tries to get it in. And then even then it only worked on my left side and I only got to enjoy it for 10 minutes before my OB came in to check me. I was at a 9. She broke my water and I was complete. We were having a baby! I pushed once for his head and once for his body and Henry was here! He arrived at 4:41 am crying loudly which I was SO happy to hear (given how Millie hadn’t cried when she arrived)! They handed him up to me immediately. He was so perfect and so sweet! I couldn’t believe he had some so quickly! And was just relieved he was here! I noticed cute Tim counting his fingers and toes…just what the doctor would do! His hair looked a little strawberry and he looked a bit like Kate but had his own little look too.

We couldn’t believe he weighed 7 pounds 14 oz!!! An almost 8 lb baby?! Maybe it was good that I got an epidural?! He was over a pound heavier than either girl. But he was only 3 days early so I guess that made sense. Anyway, I didn’t tear so recovery was so smooth. The thing that continued to hurt was the bruising associated with that stupid epidural.

We were left to enjoy our sweet new baby and I was so pleased that he took to nursing so well. It was a beautiful delivery! And then having the girls come meet Henry was such a sweet reunion! 








First meeting...it was so fun to see how excited the girls were and so fun to have my mom here at soon after my babe's arrival
Millie found his nose
Kate was so anxious to read her Arthur's Baby book to Henry




Our family of 5






Getting ready to go home
One last shot before heading home


3 comments:

  1. I loved reading Henry's story!! Crazy that it was so different from the girls. I can't believe you had contractions for so long. It's the worst to go into the hospital only to be sent home. The epidural part is really lame, too. It took her THREE TRIES?!? That sounds like torture and for it only to work on one side? Man alive, Hayley. You are a warrior. I'm glad Henry caught on to breastfeeding so fast. That really makes a world of difference in the recovery process. Thanks for taking the time to record and share all of this. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. Hayley, you look fantastic in every single picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very grateful this precious, sweet little boy is here and is doing so great! You are a beautiful family. I am so blessed that I was able to be there with you when Henry was born.

    ReplyDelete