Monday, August 10, 2015

Preschooler Kate


Today was a big day- Kate started preschool!!! She's going to The Growing Place, an in-home preschool, that a former resident's family recommended and was one of the few preschools I contacted that wasn't $400 a month. Preschool will be Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 9-11:30am.  Her teachers, Ms. Whitney and Ms. Cerise, are so sweet and are going to be awesome! 

There is a large part of me that isn't ready to let her go. We are going to miss her so much! And although it is exactly what you want as a parent, it is just plain hard to see your kids grow up. However, there is an even bigger part of me that just couldn't wait for her to get started, to make new friends, to grow and learn, and experience school. After being in Phoenix now for 2-1/2 months, Kate still talks at least weekly about wanting to go back to Iowa and how much she misses her friends. It kills me! I am ready for her to make some good friends and to watch her thrive! 

Kate woke up bouncing off the walls ready for preschool to start. 9am could not come soon enough for this girl! We enjoyed Kate's favorite breakfast, chocolate chip pancakes, to start the day off right. We played a little, got ready, took these pictures, and then jumped in the car anxious for this big day! Kate literally ran to the door and couldn't wait to get inside. She gave me a tight hug, a kiss, and told me she would listen and have fun...and just like that she was off. My heart skipped a few beats and as Millie started to cry as Kate ran off with her new classmates I felt just a tiny twinge of sadness but was mostly just proud of the beautiful, smart, and enthusiastic little lady that she has become! 

Poor Millie did not like having her big sister sidekick missing. As we drove to storytime at the library she kept pointing over at Kate's empty car seat yelling "Kay-te." We did miss Kate but we also had a lot of fun just the two of us. I am excited about this special one-on-one time that I'll have to focus on Millie.

I am happy to report that Kate loved her first day! She ran up to me and told me what a great time she had. Just like with Primary Kate doesn't always want to share all the details of her day and even told me she couldn't tell me since she wasn't with her teachers...but slowly throughout the day has told me bits and pieces about her day. She is most excited about the many art projects and also informed me that she is not interested in bringing home Curious George, the class stuffed animal, because he's a boy. It's going to be a great year! And to celebrate we went to Chick-fil-a for lunch. Kate mentioned that she thought she needed some ice cream and heck I couldn't have agreed more :) 

Happy First Day of Preschool Miss Kate! This is only the beginning...










Breakfast
Happy to see that Kate felt happy about her first day of school
Per Kate's request she got a "pink ice cream with a cherry on top!"

4 comments:

  1. She's so grown up! I'm glad the first day was a smashing success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest little preschooler ever! So glad she had such a good and fun first day. You're such a fun mom Hayley! - Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preschool is a big step. Sounds like it is going to be a great year for Kate. You and Millie will have fun, just the two of you too. We're happy that it's all working out, Hay.

    ReplyDelete