Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Closing A Chapter


We had the best Saturday! Our time here in Iowa is almost gone! In case you hadn't heard yet...we are moving...in 2-1/2 weeks! Yikes! I can't quite believe that Tim only has 2 more days of medical school!!! Anyway, we had a great family Saturday full of Iowa! 

We left early and headed first to Collins, IA to go visit my grandparents' graves in central Iowa for the last time! And it was so fun to see Kate's little 4 year old mind thinking and asking questions about what we were doing taking flowers to my grandparents and having to explain a cemetery etc. I am so glad we were able to go visit one last time. I don't think we will ever again live as close (it's just under 2 hours away). 

I have so many fond memories of visiting my Sokol grandparents during the summer. My grandpa went to medical school here in Iowa City (Tim will graduate 75 years after he did)! When we were applying to medical school I remember thinking we at least needed to apply not to mention they take a decent number of out-of-state students. I never actually imagined we would end up here. It has been really special to go back and visit State Center, Iowa (the tiny town my dad grew up in), be able to go put flowers on my grandparents' graves, and Tim has even run into several people who knew and loved Dr. Sokol. It's pretty amazing and hard to believe my own little family's Iowa chapter is about to close. And today was a great way to do that.

As our time draws near I've been doing a lot of reflecting. I won't write all of my thoughts here but here are a few. Iowa City has been such a wonderful place to call home! We have experienced many of the ups and downs of life, we've grown so much as a couple and a family and we've learned a lot and experienced much joy!  I learned to be a mother here (Kate was born in Colorado but was only 2 months old when we moved here). I really only know how to be a mom here. We will miss our regular routine, the inexpensive kids activities that we go to on a weekly basis, and will miss how close together everything is.  I've learned how to do a lot on my own, Tim and I have learned how to rely on each other more than ever before, and I've learned how to raise our children when family is not close by. I've even learned I really can take both my girls to my own dentist appointment :) I've learned that being married to a doctor means that you just have to make plans and if he can come awesome but if not you still go.  Let's see... I've also learned more greatly how to support my spouse, I've learned more than ever before what it means to sacrifice and I've seen my faith increase and seen the hand of the Lord in our lives. We will always hold Iowa City in our hearts and will forever look back fondly and remember our med school years. I have often joked with woman I know that married their husband's after medical school or with only 1 year of school left and told them how lucky they were...but in reality... despite the hard times and stress I really wouldn't have had it any other way. Farewell Iowa, you have been so good to us! Arizona here we come! 



3 comments:

  1. You and Tim have learned and grown a lot while you have been in Iowa City for med school. Congratulations to both of you! We're confident that you all will be happy in Phoenix too. It's going to be great. We love you and we are so very proud of you. Thank you for making the trip to Collins one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I choked up reading this. Life is such a beautiful thing and you guys have done such a good job of really living it and soaking it up. I don't know if it's the complete stagnancy of the climate here or what but it just doesn't seem like it's may. I can't believe you move so soon. And I'm so sad we won't be back before you do. Miss you! And good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still miss Iowa sometimes! It's so bittersweet to move. By the way, don't worry. 30 is a great age, and it's not old at all. Look forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete