Saturday, October 26, 2013


Amelia Bahr
October 5, 2013
10:43 am
6 pounds 5 ounces
18 1/2 inches 

Well...Happy 3 weeks to our little lady! I can't believe it's already really been three quickly time flies...and gosh, how busy we've been!

I know it's super late but I still wanted to document her birth a little bit. I'll spare you all the details but here's some of them...With this pregnancy, just like with Kate too, I didn't have a single contraction, no Braxton Hicks, no nothing until the BIG day. 

At 7am Saturday morning I had my first contraction. Tim had just gotten up with Kate and was going to let me sleep in. But by 7:30am my contractions were coming every 2-3 minutes. It was intense! We finally headed out the door and dropped off Kate at our friends house at 9am. 

For those of you that don't know Iowa City, the football stadium is across the street from the hospital...super great planning, right? Even with trying our best to avoid game day traffic we still got stuck in some pretty awful traffic for about 35 minutes. It was totally miserable. We finally got close enough where we were able to turn into the Emergency Room turn out and figured we could park there and walk up to L&D. As we walked from the ER to L&D my water broke. 

We finally made it to L&D at 9:45 am where they took us to a triage room to check me and see how I was progressing. My L& D nurse Jan came in and informed us that there wasn't a labor room currently available and with how quickly my contractions were coming that they wouldn't move me. We'd be having Amelia in our little triage room. Shortly thereafter the OB resident came in to check me and I was already at a 9! They quickly tried to get an IV in me...I was group B strep positive this pregnancy and needed to get my two rounds of antibiotics in, and I was actually still hoping that I could get my epidural.  But there just wasn't time. They got one round of antibiotics administered about 10 minutes before Amelia arrived but like I said, there just wasn't any time. I suddenly had the urge to push and after pushing through 3 contractions, Amelia was here!  They handed her up to me and I was just thankful she was here and was just shocked at how fast the whole labor had gone. We barely even had a second to think about taking any pictures.  

We were so thankful for amazing friends, the Bells, who watched Kate the whole day. After Kate's nap, Tim went home to pick her up and by 5pm Kate got to meet her baby sister!  Kate was so excited to see us and immediately wanted to use the stethoscope to check on Millie and kept saying "Millie born!"  It was a beautiful day!

In Transition 
Finally with us 


  1. Wow Hayley!!! What an awesome, and fast birth experience! You're amazing!!! I feel bad that you had to birth in the triage room, but I'm so glad everything ended up well!

  2. OH MY GOSH Hayley! Just read your labor story for the first time... I didn't know you had Amelia WITHOUT an epidural! You are seriously super woman! And man that was fast. Just your luck that you'd go into labor on game day, right? I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time, good grief! They need to fix that. You guys sure make cute babies. :)

  3. Man, I got behind on your blog! I loved reading all the updates on Amelia. I'm so glad you at least made it into the hospital in time! I think the stadium/hospital thing is ridiculous. She is soooo beautiful and I'm so glad she's healthy and home with you guys!