Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Center of the State



Saturday we made the important drive to State Center, Iowa! My Dad grew up in this tiny town in the middle of Iowa approximate population is around 1200 people. I have so many memories visiting my grandparents.  My grandpa was the town doc. It is pretty fun Tim will graduate 75 years after my grandpa graduated from the University of Iowa School of Medicine. Pretty cool!


We first went to Collins, IA to visit my grandparents and great-grandparents graves. It is nice they now have someone close to come put flowers on their headstones.


We then headed to State Center. It was so fun to drive up and see my grandparents house.  It looked mostly the same although there were several new houses around it. When we pulled up to my grandparents house there was a young boy out front with his friends. He let us walk around and take pictures but since he has home alone I did not get inside. 


Front door knocker 
We had planned to eat at Bailey's, this little pizza place on Main Street (and one of two restaurants in State Center) that I loved as a child, but unfortunately it isn't open for lunch. I was heartbroken. While we were out on Main Street we talked to an old farmer who said my grandpa had stitched up his head after an accident. So cool. Grandpa's picture is even in the Historic State Center Book.

 It was so fun to show Tim around and to reminisce about our trips out to visit Grandma and Grandpa Sokol. A few things have changed but some has remained the same too. Here's a little video of me and Kate out in the yard. 




3 comments:

  1. Wow. That is all I can say is wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww this made me cry. I love state center. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete